Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Main » From the Bucket

Post subject: First in truck SOP's
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:01 am 

as written in your SOP's, what are the duties that your first in (or only) truck anticipates/prioritizes at structure fires and high rise fires? Also, how many people is your truck staffed with?

I'm not looking for an existential discussion about what we should be doing, or how to size up the situation when you get there (but it's fine if the discussion takes that direction). What I'm really looking for is ammunition for changing our SOP's.

Ideally, can you post your SOP's verbatim? I'm looking for company assignments for structure fires and high rise fires.

Thanks guys!
-Ryan

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: First in truck SOP's
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:56 pm 

Ryan,

This is a great topic. I am curious to see how many department actually have some type of fireground SOG or procedure. I've been arguing for a SOG, or any type of guideline / training document, for our fireground operations. Unfortunately, too many in our department believe the fireground is too dynamic for a guideline, and they would not want their hands tied. Moreover, there is a concern if we don't follow the guideline that it would open us up for litigation if something went wrong...what a load of crap!

I'm thinking there are people in our department who don't want to be held accountable for their terrible tactics and their unwillingness to learn something.

Anyways...before I get off on a tangent, this is what I have for you.

First, SCFD7 doesn't have a specific fireground procedure. We do cover some of the priorities for the ladder in our Tool / Job Assignment procedure. And, I included our response guideline, which covers apparatus placement in section 7.4 of the procedure.

I've also included procedures from Hunington Beach Fire Dept. This was/is the model I have been using to develop drafts for SCFD7. The reason I used them is their trucks are quints, which is something SCFD7 and many other smaller departments have to deal with.

I'm looking forward to how this thread turns out.

SCFD7
Tool / Job Assignment procedure: http://www.4shared.com/file/77814628/f8 ... adder.html

Response procedure: http://www.4shared.com/file/77814629/8f ... ponse.html

Hunington Beach, CA - Fireground Procedures
Residential: http://www.4shared.com/file/77814627/68 ... fires.html

Condo: http://www.4shared.com/file/77814625/86 ... __ICS.html

Stripmall: http://www.4shared.com/file/77814630/ef ... e_ics.html

"What we do between fires defines us as firefighters." - Ray McCormack

Post Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:43 pm 

We have used the following chart for several years with good results. I can email more, or post here but we have some pretty lengthy stuff....can we attach documents to posts?

Mark

The Bellevue Fire Department has established guidelines for emergency
operations for Light Force and Truck Companies. These guidelines provide for
the efficient and effective use of personnel in mitigating escalating emergencies.
While these guidelines have been established, the officers will continue to have
the authority and responsibility to coordinate capabilities with tasks s/he deems
necessary to meet incident needs, priorities, and safety considerations.
Light Force Companies that arrive first on-scene with less than five (5) members
will need to prioritize, due to the reduced staffing and capability, the need
between fire attack and other truck company operations. The mode of operation
shall be determined by the company commander after assessing the emergency
and the number of operations which can be safely performed. Incident needs not
able to be addressed by the Light Force will be assigned to the other companies
by the Light Force officer.

RESIDENTIAL FIRE - FIRST DUE
Officer Command
Aerial Operator Assist with supply and handlines, PPV, setup aerial
Pump Operator Supply, handlines, pump operations
Tiller Operator Attack team
Firefighter Hydrant, attack team

RESIDENTIAL FIRE - 2nd DUE
Officer; rubbish hook, go to roof
Aerial Operator Ladders, PPV, rubbish hook, interior operations, lighting,
utilities
Pump Operator Ladders, forcible entry, rubbish hook, interior operations,
utilities
Tiller Operator Ladders, saw, rubbish hook, go to roof
Firefighter Ladders, roofer if needed, saw, rubbish hook, go to roof

COMMERCIAL FIRE - FIRST DUE
Officer Command
Aerial Operator Assist with supply and handlines, PPV, setup aerial
Pump Operator Supply, handlines, pump operations
Tiller Operator Attack team
Firefighter Hydrant, attack team

COMMERCIAL FIRE - 2nd DUE
Officer, rubbish hook, go to roof
Aerial Operator Ladders, PPV, rubbish hook, go to roof if aerial is used as
ground ladder
Pump Operator Ladders, saw, rubbish hook, go to roof
Tiller Operator Ladders, saw, rubbish hook, go to roof
Firefighter Ladders, saw, rubbish hook, go to roof

LADDER PIPE
Officer , Assist Spotting
Aerial Operator Operate aerial, direct stream
Pump Operator Supply, assist setup
Tiller Operator Attach pipe, secure hose, attach controlling ropes, assist
aerial operator
Firefighter Assist with supply to aerial ladder truck

HIGH RISE EVOLUTION
Officer Report to alarm room, TIC
Aerial Operator SCBA, spare bottles
Pump Operator Irons, rescue saw
Tiller Operator High-rise bundle, rubbish hook
Firefighter High-rise bundle, rubbish hook

Post Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:40 pm 

These are not formal SOPs but represent how we plan to operate and/or expect to support the other trucks in our Battalion. (each shift is a bit different and the IC can really mess up a good thing)

I apologize for the length of this post.

SFD (Single Family Dwelling)

Inside Team

Officer – Inside Hook (NY Hook married to a Rex Tool), TIC

Irons Man – Irons, Can, F/E saw if high security measures are present, ground ladder if conditions preclude interior search.

This team will initiate a search of the bedrooms and exit paths from the interior if possible, and then check for extension on the floor above the fire. Third responsibility is overhaul in the fire room.

Outside Team

Driver – Throws the main ladder if possible, Twin hooks (2 married roof hooks), chain saw

Tillerman – Ground ladders as needed, Tiller hook (roof hook married to a halligan), chain saw

This team will ladder the building for vertical ventilation. If this is not needed they are still responsible for positively confirming conditions in the attic. If fire conditions and rescue profile necessitate the team may conduct VES instead of ventilation. This team is responsible for PPV once the fire is under control and the Inside Team confirms it is safe to do so.

Second Due Truck

Inside Team throws a ladder to side Alfa and reinforces the interior search. Responsible for overhaul on the floor above the fire.

Outside Team two ladders and softens side Charlie. May then reinforce roof operations or conduct VES. Secondary assignment of controlling utilities and providing emergency lighting as needed. The outside team is responsible for positively confirming the conditions in the basement/cellar/crawl space if there is no sign of obvious fire there.

OMD (Multiple Dwelling)

Inside Team

Officer – Inside Hook, TIC

Irons Man – Irons, Can, Rabbit Tool

This team will determine the location and type of attack stairs and the length of the stretch on the fire floor in consultation with the first due Engine officer and control the fire apartment door in the closed position. Based on fire conditions in the unit a decision about searching ahead of the line, outside venting and PPV will be made. The Truck officer has ultimate discretion about opening the fire unit door for any reason including fire attack.

Outside Team

Driver – Top Floor: Throws the main ladder to the roof, Twin Hooks, Chain Saw. NOT Top Floor: Throws main ladder to roof, provides access to fire unit by ground ladder, fire escape, or MAY use main ladder, OV Hook (NY Hook married to Halligan)

Tillerman – Tiller Hook, chain saw

At top floor fires the outside team will ascend to the roof and provide a 360 size up, vertical ventilation of the stairs, scuttles, horizontal ventilation with a rope/halligan in coordination with the inside team, and cut the roof.

If the fire has or will gain possession of the cockloft the entire Truck will ascend to the roof and operate as at a commercial fire.

If the fire is NOT a top floor fire the Tillerman will ascend to the roof and provide that function alone. The Driver will position to perform OV (outside venting) in coordination with the Inside Team. Additional responsibilities include placing a blower to the door if possible. The Outside Team is responsible for positively confirming conditions in the attic or cockloft.

If a ladder rescue MUST be made the inside team will assist with this. The Tillerman will make every effort to get the roof by any means necessary despite the rescue. Consideration may be given to sending the Irons man with the Engine Company during a rescue to provide door control of the fire unit.

Second Due Truck

Inside Team operates on the floor above the fire.

Outside Team throws the main ladder to the fire unit for egress and outside venting.

If the fire is a top floor fire the ladder will go to the roof and the entire truck will reinforce that position.

Third Due Truck (Part of Rapid Intervention Group/Task Force)

The RIG Truck will throw the main ladder to the fire unit or the unit above as needed and place ground ladders to all windows of the fire unit, unit above, and adjoining units if possible. The Irons man will assure F/E of all ground level exterior doors, provide access to the basement/cellar and prepare to control utilities. Exterior scene lighting will be set up after egress is established.

Commercial Fires

Working Fire

Officer – Twin Hooks, TIC, Chain Saw

Irons Man – Twin Hooks, Chain Saw (Irons and F/E Saw if detached)

Tillerman – Tiller Hook, Chain Saw

Driver – Throws the main ladder, Twin Roof Shovels, Rotary Saw

The entire truck proceeds to the roof for vertical ventilation. The Irons man may be detached initially for forcible entry.

Investigating

Inside Team

Officer – Inside Hook, TIC, Search line

Irons Man – Irons, F/E Saw, Can (the Rabbit Tool replaces the Saw at office buildings)

The inside team provides forcible entry, searches for the fire and determines primary entry point for fire attack.

Outside Team

Tillerman – Tiller Hook, Chain Saw

Driver – Throws the main ladder, Twin Hooks, Chain Saw

The outside team performs a 360 from the roof and evaluates vertical channels. The outside team is responsible for positively confirming conditions in the attic or cockloft.

Second Due Truck

Ladders the roof and the entire truck reinforces that position.

The RIG Truck will throw the main ladder to the roof and then assure F/E of all ground level exterior doors, provide access to the basement/cellar and prepare to control utilities. Exterior scene lighting will be set up after egress is established.

High Rise Office Fires

Officer – Inside Hook, TIC, Search Line

Irons Man – Irons, Can, Rabbit Tool

Tillerman – OV Hook, F/E Saw

Driver – Irons, RAK (emergency air supply)

The entire truck operates as a unit to locate the fire and provide forcible entry on the fire floor. The Truck is responsible for determining the attack/search stairwells and checking above the fire floor at least 5 stories in the attack well. The Truck Officer has final authority over opening the fire floor door for any reason including fire attack.

Second Due Truck

Operates on the floor above the fire.

The RIG Truck will stage along with the rest of the RIG on the floor below the fire prepared for wide area search and rapid ascent of the stairwells.

Fourth and Fifth Due Trucks (2nd alarm at all HR fires)

Will ascend the evacuation stair well to check all stairwells above the fire and search the top floor down. Also responsible for locating and searching elevators which are not accounted for or which access a sky lobby above the fire. Will be reinforced by the Heavy Rescue for possible helicopter and rope rescue operations.

Risk aversion is a direct by-product of not understanding what's going on around you.
- Pete Blaber, Delta Force

http://www.youtube.com/hoflanr

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:26 am 

Tom,

So, Seattle doesn't have a training manual or other type of document that designates what truck companies do on the fireground? If not, what would a company officer or crew use to support their opinion on how things need to be done? Or is this determined and set by each BC?

I figured that a department the size of Seattle would need to have some type of guideline to structure standard operations.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:56 pm 

There is no SOP or training guide in Seattle for truck operations. This does create a challenge. Downtown response times are such that informal policy is in effect because it is not possible to provide instructions to units as quickly as they arrive. In general the first alarm companies are on scene within two minutes of each other. The chief is lucky to get out of the SUV before they have committed themselves to the structure.

In outlying areas there is a longer response time and the first due officer may be able to implement a "plan" of his own. In this case an SOP does exist regarding the first 2-1-1 (2 engines, 1st truck, and 1st chief). Per our P.O.G. the first truck is responsible for search at all fires. Additionally, a ventilation strategy must be formulated and declared as part of the initial size-up report.

In our higher activity battalion (5th) it does seam they operate a little differently. The first Truck tends to commit all personnel to search and VES while the second truck goes to the roof. This is definitely driven by a high frequency of fires in SFDs. The NY hooks and Rex tools are mostly limited to these companies as well since they are purchased by the crews out of pocket.

Response times are the big factor. In the core we are on scene so fast that there is no time to "formulate and communicate an incident action plan through the assignment of divisions and groups". (Besides, 2-7 resources of different types with a common communication and a leader is called a Task Force. That is your entire ICS structure at a first alarm.)

Standardizing operational plans in a big challenge in the city and we are trying to address it. The same challenges that Rob talked about are manifesting themselves in my organization.

I also see a lot of discipline related challenges because everybody wants part of the action. Nobody (including myself) relishes performing "precautionary" assignments like going to the floor above or the roof at a "minor" fire or throwing "unnecessary" ladders.

I don't know how we will or others are addressing these challenges. The fact that the fire went out and nobody got hurt provides a lot of ammunition to those who don't want formal procedures. I have a bad feeling in my gut though that my organization is cheating fate.

I hope that the ladder is there when a brother gets stuck.

I hope the roof team is already on the roof when the fire extends to the attic.

I hope the line to the floor above is already laid when the search team is trapped by fire.

And I hope the preconnect flows enough and doesn't come up short.

TomTom
Ladder Company 4

Risk aversion is a direct by-product of not understanding what's going on around you.

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:19 pm 

Rob,

I didn't even answer your question!

The first due truck officer sets the tone. If he is assertive and declares what he is doing then thats how the fires going to go. Otherwise the BC will assign a single task and the operation slows way down.

That being said, Seattle tends to operate on an oral tradition about how it should work. Each officer/platoon/company/battalion is a bit different. The saving grace is response times. If the first unit misses something there tends to be another company 30 seconds behind them who picks it up.

When it comes to changing policy the normal route is influencing your company officer and strategically timed coffee table conversations. In my case I have an great officer who is willing to consider what I have to say. Others may not be so lucky.

As support for an idea we are reliant on outside "documentation" such as FDNY SOPs (nobody cares about anybody else of course) or LODD reports. Whats challenging is that most people don't read these and you walk that line of teaching while not preaching to someone who doesn't think they need to learn anything. Its odd but books do not get much respect in my department. Referencing an author is of almost no value in building a case.

You can feel the momentum changing though. A critical mass is building and SOPs are in our future.

TomTom

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:15 pm 

Tom,

I loved your response...both of them.

I've often wondered why a department larger than my would not have a SOG...TOG...Procedure...or any other document to dictate and coordinate operations on the fireground or any other scene we could respond to. NIOSH LODD reports often state that not following current department procedures or not having fireground procedures established as a contributing factor to the firefighter(s) fatality.

For me...the NIOSH reports...enough said. In my opinion, all fire departments should have some type of guideline or procedure on how they want the initial operations to set-up. Again...this is a guideline. If you're not following it, there's a good reason other than, "I don't like them..."

My department only has 6 engine companies and a single ladder (quint...stop laughing. I'm learning to like it!). To add, we have four shifts, which means 28 different ideas. I couldn't image what that would be like with 12 ladders and 30+ engines.

Just be thankful I'm not your Training Division or Operations chief. There would be a SFD Bible for all to sing fireground hymns from. They'd have to terminate me to get rid of me! I'm telling you...many in my department don't want to see me move up in the ranks.

It's funny, though, how is it easier to operate under standard guidelines when the BC and other companies are later arriving, but it is difficult to do it when everyone is arriving on top of each other (I'm being facetious). I would think guidelines would facilitate organization for this type of incident.

Lastly, no one wanting to conduct "precautionary" operations when it's more fun to be in the action (I paraphrased your response)...this comes down to discipline. If you want structure, you must support the discipline needed to have it. I'm with you, though, I want a piece of the pie too. But, I see that it's more important for me and my company to support the discipline that will facilitate the guidelines in exchange for the future safety of the department.

Thanks for being so candid.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:45 pm 

I really appreciate everyone's thorough responses. In fact, I was able to reference Seattle, Sno. 7, and Huntington beach in a kitchen table conversation with our battalion chief. This added weight to my argument (along with common sense) that our first in truck should be prioritizing/anticipating the primary search at working fires. Incredibly, it is our first in engine company that performs that task (along with fire attack) now. At high rise fires/standpipe operations, search and rescue is not mentioned anywhere in the sop's!

I was able to sway him and now have the A-shift battalion chief and truck officer (among others) on board. We still have a long road to an SOG change though, and I would appreciate any other departments sog's to reference. Also, any other ideas and discussion is great. Thanks again for taking the time to help out a brother.

Mark, Are all your trucks quints in Bellevue? can you please define interior operations (as you listed for your truck)? and how does primary search/VES fall into ops in your first alarm assignments?
-Ryan

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:26 am 

Ryan,

Bellevue Fire Dept. has been running the "light-force" concept for the past several years. They just recently disbanned "Light-Force 7" to staff a must needed downtown ladder (truck/ladder 1). They are still running "Light-Force 3", though.

The "light-force" concept usually runs with a minimum of three members on the ladder trailed by an engine with a minimum of two.

Since this is a LAFD thing, the ladder is typically a TDA.

So, "light-force" operations can be that of an engine (not to be confussed by the limitations of a quint) or ladder depending on their arrival order. To add, this concepts is better supported by multiple ladders and/or "light-force" companies since they might be the initial attack with their engine while the ladder is positioned for ladder operations.

I'll leave the rest for Capt. Risen to answer. I'm looking forward to hearing how the new downtown ladder is doing.

Last edited by Rob Fisher on Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:12 am 

Hi guys:

This is a great thread with some great info.

In regards to Bellevue, we have fought off the quint thing. Both 1st line apparatus and our reserve are tillered rigs with no pumps.

Rob almost had had the LF staffing right - we run 4 on the ladder and 1 on the "pump".
The biggest advantage of this over a quint is that apparatus placement for ladders will be different for pumpers - this allows each unit to place properly. The other advantage is staffing - 5 members on a LF vs. 3 or 4 on a quint (in most cases).

Ladder 1 has been in service now for a couple months. They are getting used to running with a 4 member crew vs. 5, and are having to adjust SOP's (still in progress). We ran a residential fire together a couple shifts ago and they got us a hole pretty quick, but we engine guys (gasp!!) had to pull our own ceilings. To this end, we will be sending both trucks on all structure fires to get the job done.

In regards to interior ops and searches, this was the job of the LF ladder and pump driver (if not pumping) to team up to pull ceilings and conduct a primary search on a residential fire. This left the truckman, tillerman and officer to head to the roof. As a department, our overall philosophy towards search was best said by a now retired training officer - "the only time you are not doing a primary search is when you are doing a secondary search". We try to beat that into people, but sometimes it still takes awhile for the "search complete - nothing found" to get done. This is primarily due to staffing levels of 3 person engines, and only two ladder companies with sometimes long arrival times. But, we are all in that boat.

We were hoping to get the staffing to split LF3 to Engine and Truck 3 soon, but the economy.....blah, blah, blah..

Post Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:40 am 

Mark,

I couldn't resist answering the question. Sorry for the mis-info on the minimum numbers. What a boring job for the lone engine driver having to drive around by themself.

This could be an entirely new topic, but since I don't know how to move it (hint...hint...Matty) to start a new thread, I'll ask a few questions here.

When the LF is arriving to a commercial fire, and you're going to perform fire attack, is the LF attack team relieved by the first arriving engine? I see that ventilation operations will be handled by the second-due LF; however, if you normally send two LF's (again, I understand this is no longer the case) to fires because you feel you need them, and if the LF attack team isn't relieved, where do you get the second company for support functions?

Do you still have any of the presentation information that was used to sell the LF concept to your department (i.e. PowerPoint, written plan, etc.)?

Post Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:55 pm 
Site Admin

Please post all Light Force related posts in this new thread:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=946

Mark R. wrote:
can we attach documents to posts?

Capt- yes, we can. If you scroll to the bottom of your "reply" page, you will see an "Upload attachment" section. You can upload a file from your hard drive by clicking the "browse" button, finding the file, double clicking it and then clicking the "Add the file" button in the browser on the webpage. This will attach a file for the rest of us to view. Thanks for the question and suggestion!

Attachments:
fools_recruit.jpg
fools_recruit.jpg [ 9.51 KiB | Viewed 3921 times ]

“We did our job, and that’s what we’re paid to do. There’s nothing more to say.’’
John Smith, BFD

DTRT- KTF
 Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 1:40 pm 

this topic is old, but it's a good one. I ran into these Truck Company SOP's and thought they were pretty well laid out.

http://www.eastprospectfd.org/epsog-02- ... ations.pdf

East Prospect Fire Company Guideline: SOG-02-08
Standard Operating Guideline Date: 02/11/02
REV:
TRUCK COMPANY Written by: J. Hoffmaster
OPERATIONS Authorized by: C. Wolfgang, Jr.
1.0 Scope
1.1 This S.O.G. covers all members of the East Prosepect Fire Company.
2.0 Purpose
2.1 To provide a guideline for Truck Company Operations on the scene of a
structure fire in occupied and most unoccupied structures.
3.0 Reference
3.1 S0G-02-02, Truck 42 Set-up
3.2 SOG-01-02, Firefighter Level A
3.3 SOG-01-06, Firefighter Level B
3.4 SOG-02-18, PPV
4.0 Staffing & Riding Assignments
4.1 In order to assure proper response and implementation of the required
functions necessary for a Truck Company to operate at the scene of a
structure fire the following Minimum Staffing and Riding Assignments are
recommended.
4.1.1 1 – Driver/Operator,
4.1.1.1 Fire Fighter Level A, Preferred
4.1.2 3 – Fire Fighter Level B
4.1.3 Riding positions designated as follows:
4.1.3.1 Driver/Operator – Position #1
4.1.3.2 Officer – Position #2
4.1.3.3 Jump Seat behind Officer – Position #3
4.1.3.4 Jump Seat behind Driver – Position #4
4.2 Interior Team
4.2.1 Officer, position #2
4.2.1.1 Make a rapid size up of fire building and all exposures.
4.2.1.2 Direct the proper positioning of apparatus.
4.2.1.2.1 Verbally announcing any and all overhead hazards
to the operator
REV:
4.2.1.3 Directly supervise the interior team
4.2.1.4 Give the Driver/Operator orders as necessary.
4.2.1.5 Tools will include:
4.2.1.5.1 Radio
4.2.1.5.2 Flashlight
4.2.1.5.3 Short hook
4.2.1.5.4 Water Can
4.2.1.5.5 SCBA
4.2.1.6 Sets Officers Side-wheel chocks.
4.2.2 Forcible Entry/Interior Search, position #3
4.2.2.1 Make access to building
4.2.2.2 Conduct primary search, with Officer, of fire floor and
floors above the fire or as directed by the Officer in
Charge (OIC).
4.2.2.3 Open windows as necessary during search and report
location of fire and/or extension when encountered.
4.2.2.4 Tools will include:
4.2.2.4.1 Irons (Flat Head Axe & Halligan tool)
4.2.2.4.2 Flashlight
4.2.2.4.3 Radio
4.2.2.4.4 SCBA
4.2.2.5 Pulls and sets Officers side out rigger jack plates for
aerial operations (if needed).
4.3 Exterior Team
4.3.1 Driver/Operator, position #1
4.3.1.1 Safely gets apparatus to incident
4.3.1.2 Set up aerial operation if necessary (ref. SOG-02-02)
REV:
4.3.1.3 Ensures all sides and elevated floors are accessible with
ground ladders. (If aerial operations are not being
conducted)
4.3.1.4 Sets up scene lighting if required.
4.3.1.5 Assist with communications as necessary.
4.3.1.6 Assists Outside Vent with roof ventilation procedures.
4.3.1.7 Tools include:
4.3.1.7.1 Ground ladders
4.3.1.7.2 Radio.
4.3.1.7.3 10’ Hook
4.3.1.7.4 SCBA
4.3.1.8 Sets Drivers side-wheel chocks.
4.3.2 Outside Vent/Roof, position #4
4.3.2.1 Position PPV fan at front door. Do not place in service
unless directed by OIC.
4.3.2.2 Provide exit opening if Positive Pressure Ventilation is
placed in service(SOG-02-18.
4.3.2.3 Position ground ladders for access to upper floors and
roof, with the assistance of the Driver/Operator.
4.3.2.4 Initiate roof ventilation operations, with the assistance of
the Driver/Operator, when ordered
4.3.2.5 Perform Vent Entry Search (VES) of fire room if directed
by OIC.
4.3.2.6 Control Utilities after completing initial assignments.
4.3.2.7 Tools will include:
4.3.2.7.1 Pick Head Axe
4.3.2.7.2 10’ Hook
4.3.2.7.3 Power saw(s)
4.3.2.7.4 Flash Light
REV:
4.3.2.7.5 Ground ladders
4.3.2.7.6 Radio
4.3.2.7.7 SCBA
4.3.2.8 Pulls and sets Drivers side out-rigger jack plates for
aerial operations (if needed).
5.0 Guideline
5.1 General Operations
5.1.1 Roof Operations
5.1.1.1 Roof Operations are to be considered dangerous and
should be accomplished with the minimum amount of
personnel.
5.1.1.2 The Outside Vent person has top priority and should
consider vertical ventilation after VES has been
completed. If a VES is not ordered the Outside Vent
person should gather the minimum equipment and
prepare to initiate roof ventilation operations if ordered.
5.1.1.3 Equipment should include the following:
5.1.1.3.1 Demolition saw or chain saw.
5.1.1.3.2 10’ or longer pike pole
5.1.1.3.3 Pick Head Axe.
5.1.1.3.4 16’ Roof ladder.
5.1.1.3.5 Safety Belt
5.1.2 Roof ventilation should be accomplished quickly and should be
vacated immediately after ventilation opening has been completed.
5.1.2.1 Roof ventilation when possible should be completed from
the aerial tower. Note, that in some cases this will be
impossible.
REV:
5.1.2.2 In the event of minimal staffing is not met or the
Driver/Operator is not a qualified Firefighter the Interior
team should be re-assigned to roof operation.
5.1.3 Vent Enter Search (VES)
5.1.3.1 VES should only be done with command approval or
orders.
5.1.3.2 VES should be accomplished quickly but thoroughly.
5.1.3.3 Search Fire room first,
5.1.3.4 Above the Fire second,
5.1.3.5 Work from the exterior, starting with the fire room working
up and out.
5.1.3.6 VES efforts must be coordinated with the hose team.
5.1.4 Utility Control
5.1.4.1 Utility control should be accomplished as soon as
possible.
5.1.4.2 It will be the responsibility of the OVM to control all
utilities after the ventilation operation has been
completed.
5.1.4.3 Utilities to be controlled,
5.1.4.3.1 Natural Gas, shut off meter or curb box
5.1.4.3.2 Fuel Oil, shut off at tank
5.1.4.3.3 Propane, shut off at tank
5.1.4.3.4 Move tanks if fire impingement is likely.
5.1.4.3.5 Electric, shut off main service disconnect at the
meter or breaker panel.
5.1.4.3.6 NEVER PULL A METER WITHOUT PERMISSION
FROM COMMAND!!!
5.1.4.3.7 Water, main line in or curb box.
5.1.4.3.7.1 May not always be necessary.
REV:
5.1.4.4 Lock Out-Tag out tags should be used when possible.
5.1.5 It is also the responsibility of the Truck crew complete salvage and
overhaul. This must be done as soon as possible to minimize the
loss of property and re kindle of hidden fire.
5.2 For Master Stream Operations Refer to SOG-02-02
5.3 The above is a guideline is intended to assist in making tactical decisions;
crew safety will be constantly evaluated and never be jeopardized.

POSITION #2, OFFICER
TASKS
MAKE INITIAL SIZE UP
CHECK OVERHEAD HAZARDS
DIRECT PROPER POSITIONING OF TRUCK
SET OFFICERS SIDE WHEEL CHOCKS
SUPERVISE INTERIOR TEAM
TOOLS
SHORT HOOK, WATER CAN, FLASHLIGHT,
RADIO
Set Outrigger Jack Plates if Needed

POSITION #3, ENTRY/SEARCH
TASKS
MAKE ACCES TO BUILDING
CONDUCT PRIMARY SEARCH W/OFFICER
OPEN WINDOWS WHEN SEARCHING
TOOLS
IRONS, FLASHLIGHT, RADIO
REV:

POSITION #1, DRIVER/OPERATOR
TASKS
SET-UP AERIAL FOR OPERATION
SET-UP GROUND LADDERS
SET-UP SCENE LIGHTS
ASSIST WITH COMMUNICATION
ASSISTS OUTSIDE VENT
TOOLS
GROUND LADDERS, RADIO, 10’ HOOK

POSITION #4, OUTSIDE VENT/ROOF
TASKS
POSITION PPV
PROVIDE EXIT OPENING FOR PPV
POSITION GROUND LADDERS
INITIATE ROOF VENT WHEN ORDERED
PERFORM VENT/ENTER/SEARCH IF ORDERED
CONTROL UTILITIES
TOOLS
PICK HEAD AXE, 10’ HOOK, POWER SAW,
FLASHLIGHT, GROUND LADDERS, RADIO

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:26 pm 

Thanks for posting on this. I forgot all about this thread and it is SOLID GOLD!

Lacey Fire District #3
31-C

"And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"

Kansas

Board index » Main » From the Bucket